Sunday, September 13, 2009

Week 3 Day Two: The Red Convertible and The Story of an Hour




Monday, September 7th was Labor Day so we didn't have a F2F class. This gave me some time to prepare my upcoming vodcasts on setting, style, and symbolism in literature. Our online discussion forum dealt with characterization and plot analysis of Kate Chopin's Story of an Hour and Lymes LaMartine's The Red Convertible.

Since I gave the students a choice of doing one or the another and a choice of questions related to each of these stories, I was expecting an even number of posts in each of the stories. Au contraire....most students chose to discuss Kate Chopin's story. I wonder why? Easier task? More interest in one over the other? I think that there are more complex issues to interpret in The Red Convertible. However, I thought it would appeal to students who can bring in their relationships with their siblings or their knowledge of what war does to a man or woman returning to the home country.

I think I will incorporate the poll function in Angel and see what are the reasons why students are attracted to one story over another.


The majority of the posts and sandwich critiques of others' posts had improved dramatically since the first discussion forum. The students are delving deeper and exercising their critical thinking muscles.


The one thing I would change next time is to demand on all the posts that students cite an academic source. Many talked about the life of a woman in the 19th century, yet few actually included an academic reference in their discussion.


Take a look at Jessica M's discussion post:

Story of an Hour
by Jessica M (jm) at 9/9/2009 10:54 PM


What was life like for Mrs. Mallard in the home Of Brently Mallard?


- It appears that life for Mrs. Mallard was oppressed by her husband. Her joy of being free through her husband's death makes it seem as if she never had a desire to be married at all.
In the report of the train accident, Brently Mallard's name was at the top of the list of fatalities. Does this information mean that Mallard was an important citizen in his community? Does it also suggest that perhaps Louise married him, in part, because of his standing in the community?
- Mr. Mallard being at the top of the fatality report could hint at him being a strong figure within the community. As it would seem that the more "important" deaths would be at the top of the death list. The author's life extended from 1851 to 1904. Some social concepts of this era included women that stayed at home and maintained the home and children, and men pursued wealth. In the story, it describes Louise as a young women. So it seems entirely possible that she may have only married him for his social standing or wealth.


Write a paragraph about what society expected in the typical 19th century American woman.


- The typical 19th century American woman was a woman that remained at home, took care of the children, took care of the house, maintained the premises (farm work). While the husband worked, more women started to become employed in the 19th century, but many laws kept women from obtaining high level positions, such as laws that required women to work eight hours or less a day, when men could work fifteen. There were also laws passed that kept women from lifting weights above a certain amount, resulting in a slim job market for the American woman. It was expected and accepted that the women remained home, married a man with a job, and cooked, cleaned, and cared for the husband and children.

4 comments:

  1. The red convertible... wow I really did not expect the story to end in such a way. while reading i really took notice to the continual appearance of the red convertible, and how it was a lot like layman’s brother.
    eyawman

    ReplyDelete
  2. I as well liked the story The Red Covertible. The story had a lot of brotherly love which I feel is very important when you are dealing with someone who is so emotionally out-of-wack after being in a war.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I really was not a fan of this story, The Red Convertible, in the beginning when I first read it. It was not until I sat with my group on Monday that I started to enjoy what it had to offer. We discussed different ways of taking the meanings of things, and came up with our own thoughts about the ending. I did, however, like the other story about Mrs. Mallard. I got really good feedback about my answers to the questions that were asked from the Professor. At one point, the Professor told me that I had brought up an idea of the seperate sleeping arrangements that nobody else had thought of or discussed. That made me feel absolutely genius!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I actually liked both of the storys we had to read this day in class. Especially the red convertable story, because it took a twist that I did not expect. I felt so bad for the main charcter in the story, I mean winning a car and then having it destroyed shortly hafter you got it.

    ReplyDelete