Friday, October 9, 2009

Week 7 Day One: Poem Writing

We all wrote poems today in class. Twenty-four different types of poems were put in a hat and pairs came up and picked a type of poem. These poems ranged from limericks to Senyrus to haikus to ABC poems to name poems. Francesca's partner didn't show up so I got to work with her on a name poem. We chose her name to work on. She and I had a neat process for doing our name poem. We thought of our theme as we were walking to our destination. Once we got there, we brainstormed ideas for nature poems, came up with a flower idea and connected it to childhood.

We went through the revision process 10 minutes before the time limit and changed our general flower idea from daisy to dandelion. Then we incorporated more sensory details.We also alternated the lines. I did the first; she did the second, etc. I would have changed a couple of things about our process. I didn't have the students put the type of poem at the top of the paper. So when I was typing up all of their poems when I got back to the office, I couldn't figure out some of them. The other thing I would have done differently is to have them write out the process they used in coming up with the poem they wrote. I know that Lisa and Talia actually wrote two name poems in the 30 minutes they had to write their poems.



Check out our poem. Francesca came up with that dynamite last line. I think we should submit it to The Mangrove Review and see what happens.




A Day With a Dandelion


Finding a dandelion in my secret garden

Reminds me of my childhood

An adventure in a world of imagination and beauty

Nature at its finest

Closed off from the hustle and bustle of the city

Ever imprinted in my mind

Smelling that  flower

Clutched delicately in my now mature hand

Again mine to be

3 comments:

  1. I enjoyed your approach to the name poem. More traditional ones are about the person who name is used, but you guys took a different and more creative approach. You wrote about a flower using Fran's name, which was very creative. I also enjoyed the activity overall. It was interesting and fun to do. I learned about new types of poems and about the different styles that are out there. It really broadened my knowledge of poetry.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Poetry has never really been a strong point of mine. So by doing these assignments all relating to poetry, I really have found a new respect for creating one. The poem that you and Fran had created was very nice. I think it was simplistic yet it expressed an emotion of the beauty of childhood. Overall, this assignment was a lot of fun to create.

    ReplyDelete
  3. This was a very good class for me. I had the chance to work with you on our amazing poem. I really started to see the literary talent that I had come out and flourish. You helped me to realize that if I dig deeper, I can find what I am looking for. You had me dig deeper for better word choices and phrases, and we came up with the best poem! I enjoyed learning about all of the types of poems there are, and I know it will help me in my future literary classes.

    ReplyDelete