Wednesday, October 28, 2009

Week 10 Day One: I Dream Before I Take the Stand



Jade and Jessica presented today's lesson on a short one-act play by Arlene Hutton called, I Dream Before I Take the Stand. They kicked off the lesson with a YouTube video entitled, Interrogation or Child Abuse about the verbal abuse that takes place in police interrogations. Check it out....




Mike and Michelle shared their journal entries with the class. The students took a quick five-question quiz before beginning the discussion on the play.

Jade led the whole group discussion on the similarities and differences between the video clip and the play. Krista hadn't realized that the play was a dream sequence, so we talked about that. Samantha brought out the point that it is the prosecuting attorney's job to interrogate in such a way as to extract information. However, it was pointed out that it is verbal abuse in police interrogations to pressure people into confessing to crimes they did not commit.

The rest of the period was spent engaging in a game called Two Truths and a Lie. We worked in groups of 4 each telling our own two truths and a lie and then we chose the best person in the group to go up and try and fool the audience. Mason was in my group and did a good job with his two truths and a lie.

The only suggestion I had for Jade and Jessica for the lesson would be to do a summary of the objectives of the lesson so that students are reminded of what they should walk away with...I call it the gem of the day. All in all, I felt that the students were engaged in the lesson. I know I was.

4 comments:

  1. I really enjoyed this class. I think Jade and Jessica did an amazing job. They made the story and class interesting. I enjoyed the video and how is related to the story. I enjoyed the "Two Lies and One Truth" Game. It was fun and something very different.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I think Jade and Jessica did an awesome job. I loved everything about class this day. The journal was fun, I got a better understanding of the one-act play, and Two truths and a lie was extremely fun!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I agree with Sam E. Jessica and jade did an amazing job in make sure everyone understood the passage and that we went into a deep discussion on our thoughts and reactions to the passage. I totally loved their group activity! I never would have come up with something like that!

    ReplyDelete
  4. The assignment given to the class by Jade and Jessica was extremely eye-opening and shocking at the same time. The whole interrogation process is a very extensive and stressful process. I myself am just starting to learn about the whole process since I am in the field of law it is something I am eventually going to encounter. The video that was shown was extremely powerful and I felt it was very unethical in the way the prosecutors handled the situation. Overall their assignment was excellent.

    ReplyDelete