Tuesday, November 10, 2009

Week 11 Day 2: Vintage Radio



The students this week were to create a 5-minute radio script around a horror theme. Here is Samantha's post:



Announcer:




Good evening. It's that time again for 5 Minutes of Horror, the radio show that will chill your soul and rattle your minds. Sit back and don't relax.

Narration Provided by Michael Jackson's Thriller- Vincent Price


Music:

Eerie theme music


Narrator:

It was midnight, maybe later; Darkness leaves no hint what the hour may be.


Sound: Ocean waves russel the shells on shore; whispering.


Music: none for the remainder of the story


Narrator:


A man is startled awake in his home not far from the shore.


It was another nightmare he has become accustomed to since the death of his twin daughters


Barely a year ago they had drowned at sea. First one, then the other


After a week's search, no bodies were found.


The man, Jonathon has since moved from the home he and his since divorced wife had raised their daughters but could not stand to be away from the sea.



Sound: Only the sound of the waves, the whispering shells and Jon's heavy breathing.

Narrator:


Sweat drips down his fatigued face.

Without turning the lights on Jon makes his way down the stairs and into the kitchen.

He opens the refrigerator in search of a refreshment to calm his thoughts.



The light from the fridge spills onto the kitchen floor.


Jon notices a small pool of water by his feet; probably a leak.


Finally turning on the light he notices there are multiple pools of water and to his surprise and greatest fear, a pair of damp foot prints leading to the front porch.




Sound: The waves have ceased to exist in his mind; silence.

Narrator:

Against his own will, Jon makes his way to the screen door and slowly pulls it open.
His eyes are now closed for fear of seeing the two reminders of his past life.
As he stands there he feels two cold, wet, child hands wrapping around each of his.


Sound: A huge wave breaks and crashes on the shore

He opens his eyes.


-Que Vincent Price laugh

Many students forgot to go back to the title, which was "They Came by Night." So many of the scripts were about something or someone coming in the night rather than things or people coming in the night. It is hard to create a story that doesn't sound like a cliche. I think Samantha did the best job and got her kudos when we met on Monday.

3 comments:

  1. Julia and Joseph, very creative ideas! This assignment in particular I found the most challenging. I felt very limited with the word count and the fact that we weren’t allowed to write about a climax. I feel when I write that the climax is the part I am the best at. I felt this lesson made us (the students) really work at trying to create an inventive story line. Typically the best part of writing to me seems to be the climax but when you are not allowed to include it I feel you are forced to write a better plot.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I was a little nervous when I heard about this assignment. Coming up with my own 5 minute dialogue I felt like was going to be very tough. But as I started writing, ideas just kept coming to me and the words just started to flow. I agree with Emily’s in the fact that because we had a limit on the word count, we were somewhat limited on how creative we could have gotten. I had to stop just before the climax which I feel is the best part to any story, but I guess that’s what kept the reader guessing.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I liked the asignment we wre given out of class this week. Writing a radio show was quite fun, because I enjoy writing spooky stories. I actually took the time to read everyone elses storys just because i liked the assignment so much.

    ReplyDelete