Tuesday, November 3, 2009

Week 11 Day One: Monologues


Matt and Vince did a great job on their monologue presentation beginning with a journal entry based on a George Carlin monologue about all the 21st century cliches we use to identify ourselves. Have a listen.



From there, the students worked in groups of three to come up with a comic monologue. Our group decided to do it on Excuses 101: How to Skip School. We came up with 5 excuses. Two groups came up with Halloween monologues, while other groups talked about tatoos, FGCU, and a day at the gym.

We used polleverywhere to vote on the best monologue, which happened to be the last group. This was the winning entry delivered by Mike, written by Catherine, and directed by Joe.



Diaries of Mike


So, true story. I was in the weight room waiting for my turn on the bench when I saw this guy just checking himself out in the mirrors. I asked this Guido if I could work with him. He ignored me for awhile and continued looking at himself in the mirror. Finally he picked up his weights and laid back. (Act out) He was doing well for awhile and then (sound effects: fart sound)… Right after, he ran as fast as he could off to the bathroom.

Lots of reflection going on in this lesson. I expected more quality out of the writing than what I got. On reflection, I would have the TAs create a rubric for what makes a good monologue. Maybe elicit from the students after the journal writing a discussion of the elements that Richard Pyror and George Carlin incorporated  in their monologues that made them funny. Perhaps in addition to talking about the content of a good monologue, a discussion could follow about an effective delivery.

When the students voted on the best monologue, they would have to use a rubric.

The good thing about yesterday was that I was able to use the TA evaluation sheet. Students filled that out and sent it to Matt and Vincent. I am anxious to read some of the comments. The students have been practicing all semester on writing sandwich critiques.



3 comments:

  1. I really have been enjoying the peer teaching activities. Everyone has been doing such a great job on their lessons. I know my group and I had a lot of fun bashing FGCU! Also I loved mikes story about the gym it was really funny because I knew exactly what he was talking about I’ve come across experiences much like that before too, they always make me laugh.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Well I must say this week was not really my best. Trying to be funny is not really my strong point. So when this became part of the assignment I got a little nervous. But to no surprise, after presenting the “Jokes” about tattoos to the class, I don’t think it was taken very well considering that when the class voted on who did the best, no one even voted for us…. But oh well, good thing my future career is NOT a comedian.

    ReplyDelete
  3. This week vince and I got to do oour Ta for the day presentation. I believe we did very well, except we should have been a little more involved with the class itself. I enjoyied being ta for the day, and I liked the topic we had. I liked the activity we had everyone do because it showied us everyones comedian side.

    ReplyDelete