Tuesday, November 24, 2009

Week 13 Day Two: Time, Motion, and Emotion in Comics



Sam E and Samantha led an online discussion on time, motion, and emotion in comics. Blog Post 5 was to take a Peanuts comic strip and analyze time, motion, and emotion.

Mike M did a great job with his post on the Peanuts strip below.




The first panel shows snoopy atop his dog house. Following the stoic nature of his character he remains still with his back straight and his gaze forward while the girl seems to cringe at his story. Her frown and scrunched up eyebrows seems to lead her to snobbishly announce to snoopy that she refuses to waste money on such a thing. Snoopy remains stoic, and completely unaffected by the rude comment. The girl turns around and with a pompous air about her ends her critique with, "however if you get some free author's copies, I'd be glad to have one." Her demeanor suggests that she is trying to con him into giving her a free copy, and her harsh critique was simply a ruse. As she walks away, and the dog house becomes no longer visible Schulz sketches in some motion lines to indicate snoopy's throwing of his typewriter at the little girl's head.










www.comicstriparchive.com/Peanuts/





4 comments:

  1. I really loved the week of comic strip acting. I thought it was very inventive how they did their in class activity. I especially enjoyed being able to sit back while mike mcginn did all the work in our group. It was odd to be the group member that was considered the “slacker” for once. Mike really seemed to really be into writing a three panel comic strip about Obama.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Later that week, the week of the comic strip acting we had a blog post due where we had to pick a peanuts comic and describe motion, time, and emotion. I think I like this assignment the most out of all the online TA for the day assignments. Props too the two TA’s that came up with that lesson.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I really like the assignment this week. When we were told to choose an original Peanuts comic and describe time, motion, and emotion within the comic, I found it to be a little harder than expected. The one I happened to choose was all about snoopy, but trying to figure out what the assignment was asking for was a little tough. But overall I was better able to understand the true underlying meaning within the comic.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I absolutely loved this assignment. I really liked picking my own Peanuts comic, and then discussing the time, motion and emotion parts of it:) I think that this especially helped me on my toondoo project, because I remembered critiquing my comic strip for those things!

    ReplyDelete